This simple trick will tell you instantly if you are going to change your habits, achieve your goals and create healthy new behaviours in your life. Are you ready? Ok close your eyes and answer this: What is the #1 healthy habit you'd like to implement RIGHT NOW?
Ok got it? Good. Did it sound something like this:
- I want to exercise more often.
- I want to eat healthier.
- I want to go to bed on time.
- I want to clean up after myself at home.
If it did.... I have bad news. There is a very small chance you will end up turning this goal into a life long habit. BUT! I don't want you to get discouraged, I'm going to help you turn that around, right now! Let's use the first example: "I want to exercise more often." More often is a vague term. Exercise is a vague term. These phrases don't pin point an exact problem... therefore they don't lead to an exact solution. It's time to get specific. Here is how you might modify that habit!
- I want to go to the gym and do resistance training for 45 minutes on Mon/Weds/Fri each week.
- I want to go for one 5km run, one hour long swim and resistance train twice a week for 30 minutes each week.
- I want to go to hot yoga twice per week and play tennis on Sundays with my partner.
Your turn - can you reframe your habit?
Now that you have reframed it, here are TWO secrets to success.
#1: If you told someone your goal, they should be able to say "YES, you're doing that" or "No, you're not doing that". Really simple. If they can't definitively answer yes or no, make a better goal.
#2: SCHEDULE IT! What gets scheduled, gets done. I want that goal on your calendar and I want you to check it every single day. Got it? 🙂
Awesome. Now go take action!! 🙂